What is a SMARTER Goal?
What is a SMARTER Goal? A SMARTER Goal is a goal setting technique that enables you to effectively and efficiently achieve your desired outcome and end result with straightforward steps from startup to success.
The phrase SMARTER Goal is a Mnemonic Acronym. The word ‘SMARTER’ is formed by taking the first letter from other words, and the phrase is used as a memory aid to remember important information and facts.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer
Definition of a SMARTER Goal:
- Specific: write a clear and concise statement, which answers all your who, what, when, why and how questions. Actual and definite tasks, activities and aims to complete and identify
- Measurable: implement regular and periodical checks and measures of quality and quantity of determining factors, features and stages, so as to monitor and evaluate progress, performance and success.
- Achievable: set reasonable tasks and activities, which you can complete successfully in alignment and agreement with all elements, systems and people involved in achieving your desired intention.
- Realistic: plan and implement feasible tasks, activities and projects, in order for you to complete and control operations within an agreed timeframe.
- Time-bound: set sensible deadlines, in order to keep your efforts focused and on-time. Milestones provide a sense of accomplishment when you complete a task, activity or project. Regular and periodical checkpoints to assess, identify and tackle issues needing attention.
- Evaluate: regular reviews and reporting to assess progress and performance throughout the entire duration so you know at all times where you are and what you should be doing in the grand scheme of things.
- Reflection: carry-out in-depth analysis and careful consideration to gauge progress and performance, determine challenges faced, identify best practices and lessons learned. If necessary, make revisions or modifications to overcome challenges and achieve desired intention.
People with goals succeed because they know where they're going
Why are your Goals important?
Why are your goals important? Goals are used to guide you when setting and achieving your desired outcome and end result.
Goals are easily confused with Objectives, though each serves a different purpose at different stages of development. Goals are aims you want to achieve. In comparison, Objectives are specific strategic steps taken to achieve those aims.
Objectives are not fate; they are direction. They are not commands; they are commitments. They do not determine the future; they are means to mobilize the resources and energies of the business for the making of the future
Why write down your SMARTER Goal?
Why Write Down Your SMARTER Goal? Putting pen to paper strengthens and maintains your focus and clarity to keep your eyes on the prize. Writing includes all the Learning Styles (i.e. Visual, Auditory and Kinaesthetic), which enhances your knowledge and intellect, and clears your mind to make space for more high-level thinking.
Write down your SMARTER Goal on the back of a business card, which you can stick onto your bathroom mirror and fridge, also keep a copy in your wallet or purse. This enables you to reaffirm, refocus and reflect first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and when you are on-the-go.
The most important thing you can do to achieve your goals is to make sure that as soon as you set them, you immediately begin to create momentum. The most important rules that I ever adopted to help me in achieving my goals were those I learned from a very successful man who taught me to first write down the goal, and then to never leave the site of setting a goal without first taking some form of positive action toward its attainment
How to start SMARTER?
How to start SMARTER? Begin with the end in mind... take straightforward small steps and follow a SMARTER approach. Supported with control and guided by criteria designed to effectively and efficiently achieve your desired outcome and end result.
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing, then we truly live life
Thank you for choosing and reading this Blog. We look forward to receive your comments. If you have any questions and feel we can be of further service then feel free to Contact Us.
Look out for my next Blog. In the meantime, wish you great days, times and continued success.
"Love what you do and do what you Love"
Every time a football player goes to ply his trade he's got to play from the ground up... from the soles of his feet right up to his head. Every inch of him has to play. Some guys play with their heads. That's OK you've got to be smart to be number one in any business. But more importantly, you've got to play with your heart, with every fibre of your body. If you're lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of head and a lot of heart, he's never going to come off the field second